Monday, February 8, 2010

Colt Crawford - Chapter 7 (Monday)

“Take a look at this,” Colt said to Krissy as they walked down the hallway toward the bank of elevators.

“What is it?” Krissy asked, her curiosity clearly piqued.

“That’s a surveillance picture I took last Friday for one of my clients. I was following the girl when I took this shot.”

Krissy looked at the picture and instantly recognized the face. “So you’ve seen him before?”

“Only for a few minutes,” Colt said. “Shortly after I took this shot, I went off the deep end and left it all behind.”

“What do you know about him?” Krissy asked.

“Not much. His sister’s name is Mandy Miles and he was trying to help her get out of an abusive relationship. I never did get his name.”

“You did now,” Krissy said. “You want to go back and chat him up some more?” That was an idea that Colt couldn’t pass up. Without missing a beat, he turned around and walked straight back to room 3104 to learn more about Creighton Ford and his sister Mandy.

“Mr. Ford,” Colt said as he entered the room. “I just have a few more questions.” Creighton did not look enthusiastic about seeing the duo again so soon.

“I told your lady friend everything I could,” he said.

Undeterred, Colt pressed on. “How’s Mandy doing? Is that bum boyfriend of hers still beating her?”

“How do you know about that?” Creighton demanded, shock evident on his face.

“I’m an investigator,” Colt responded cooly. “I get paid to investigate.” Changing the subject, he continued, “How did you and Samantha meet?”

Creighton’s face fell revealing his resignation. Fearing what more Colt might already know, he tried to sort out his thoughts before talking. Averting his eyes from Colt’s intense stare, Creighton shifted his gaze toward the small window that overlooked the hospital’s parking structure. Then, with a series of controlled breaths he began. “Mandy introduced us a few months ago.”

“And how does Mandy know Samantha?” Colt prodded.

“All I know is that they are friends. You will have to ask one of them how they met,” Creighton answered.

Colt had the connection he needed. Somehow the case he was working before he left L.A. two days ago was connected to the case he had stumbled upon late Friday night. And the link was Mandy Miles.

“Mr. Ford, it’s time for you to get some exercise,” a cheery Filipino nurse said, her accent revealing her non-mastery of the English language. “The doctor says you need to keep your blood flowing to flush those dirty pills out of your system.”

Colt and Krissy again thanked Creighton for his time and excused themselves while he tried to maintain his modesty in the hospital gown and get out of the bed. As they again walked down the hall, Colt said to Krissy, “We need to get a copy of his phone records. I want to know who he has been talking to. There is a lot he’s not telling us.”

“I agree,” Krissy said. “I’ll have them waiting at the P.D. when we get back.”

“You need anything else while we are here?” Colt asked.

“I have what I need. Let’s get back to Santa Barbara.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your comments. I will do my best to read all of them and incorporate a few of the ideas into the story each week.