Friday, March 5, 2010

Colt Crawford - Chapter 10 (Thursday)

“I can’t exactly tell anyone that I am nosing around the chief’s personal business,” Krissy said. The two detectives were sitting on the outdoor patio at Sambos restaurant. The view of the ocean was magnificent. As the sun was going down, the outline of the Channel Islands interrupted the distant horizon.

“So what have you found out?” Colt asked eager to solve this case.

“The chief bought the boat from Mathis about two years ago. I knew that he was somewhat estranged from his son, so I decided to work that angle. They had some sort of falling out just after he bought the boat.”

“Is the son a cop too?” Colt inquired.

“He was a local cop. That’s how I know him, but he moved out of state after their blow up. He’s now up in the Seattle area living on a boat in the harbor.”

“So what did you find out.”

“Jeff, that’s the chief’s son, said that his dad got really stressed out after he bought the boat. He said he paid cash for it. He’d been saving for years, but once he got it, something changed.”

“Buyer’s remorse?”

“I asked about that, but he said that the chief loves the boat and when he is on it, he is relaxed and comfortable.”

“So what did they fight over?”

“Jeff said that their falling out happened when Jeff accused the chief of being secretive. He felt like there was something that the chief was holding back and not being honest about.”

“Did he ever find out what it was?”

“Not a clue.”

Colt looked again across the vast expanse of sea then across the patio to a table where a young family was seated. He twirled a pile of pasta with his fork as he contemplated the situation. “You see those kids over there,” he said gesturing with his nose so as to not be too obvious. Samantha nodded. “Not a care in the world. They are just happy to be eating dinner. Must be nice.”

“They look like good kids. Their parents must be doing something right.”

Colt flagged down the waiter he came over and Colt spoke quietly. “I want to buy ice cream for those kids over there. Don’t tell them it was me, just put it on my bill. Anything they want.”

“That is so sweet,” Krissy said as a genuine smile spread across her face. “I can’t wait until I have kids.”

“You’re still young enough,” Colt said with a sarcastic grin.

“Thanks,” Krissy said feigning a left hook.

“There is something I wanted to ask you.” Colt paused as Krissy nodded.

“What might that be?”

“Have you ever been married? I mean, you seem like a pretty good catch and it surprises me that you are available.”

---Results---

How should Krissy respond to Colt’s question?
She’s never been married. - 100%
She was married for a short time at a young age but divorced. - 0%
She was married but her husband died of cancer. - 0%

2 comments:

Feel free to add your comments. I will do my best to read all of them and incorporate a few of the ideas into the story each week.